Augmented reality is now possible using cool technologies like Kinect. (Augmented reality is a fancy name for super-imposing imaginary stuff on to real stuff.)
Take a minute to watch the video. I saw my daughter test drive a game where her entire living room ambience was rebuilt in 3D on TV with exciting things like pets, dragons, unicorns etc added to our living room recreated on the big TV.
Needless to say, she was thrilled.
Watch the video at about midway through for the augmented reality part about living room
Kinect is a breakthrough technology in gaming today. But this is a technology that is FUN and COOL for almost everyone in the family. We bought it early to make sure they don’t sell out before Christmas. But here is why we think Kinect makes sense as an exciting chirstmas gift for kids, toddlers and teenagers.
(As always, please share with our community your own comments and experiences with Kinect Xbox 360)
- Saves you money!: If you have more than one kid, you will spend a fortune buying individual controllers, the batteries etc. With Kinect, 4 kids can play together WITHOUT any controllers. Controllers are a thing of the past now. Why bother buy, charge, lose, get chewed up by your dog etc?
- Spending time as family during holidays: Kinect games such as Kinectimals, Kinect Adventures and Dance Central give you a variety of options for everyone in the family to play and experience together. You don’t need to ration separate play hours for each kid. Family can do play most of these games together.
- Sharing crazy pictures and videos with other family members and friends: For the holidays when everyone is home, isn’t it really cool to be able to share your kids pictures and videos in playing poses with the connected family and friends over Xbox? We love this feature.
- Kinect is a technology jackpot: Kinect includes a state of the art camera ( better than your webcam)Not only is it cable-free, battery-free and hassle free, Kinect makes watching videos (ESPN, Movies,Netflix) really fun. Kids can now navigate the screen like Sci-Fi robots themselves using their hands.
Some of you asked me which games I would recommend based on our family’s experience.
Here is what I would do based on the kid’s age group. Pick and choose from the list if you have more than 1-2 kids.
|Your kid’s age
|3 years or older(OK. may be an overactive yet patient 2 year old as well)
- Visually compelling for this age group
- Controls and tasks well designed
|6 years plus
- We like the variety of sports
- Setting to make it easy or challenging is a plus
|6 years plus
||Kinect Joy Ride
- DON’T BUY THIS
- Download the demo instead
||Biggest Loser : Ultimate Workout
- Good for weight-conscious kids
- Entire family can wok out
|Adults and kids 10 years plus
- BEST GAME on Kinect today
- Non-dancers will enjoy it too
||Your Shape: Fitness Evolved
- Very good controls
- Tracks all body parts well. Effective guidance given