Here is a list of not-so-cool issues my toddler faces with Kinect. Iam hoping the xbox team will fix them soon.
- My three year old sometimes gets recognized as An adult kneeling! The image on TV is of an adult sitting down and playing. Obviously not a fun thing for a kid.
- When in two people mode, Kinect gets confused about who is controlling the game. Keeps passing the control between the players no matter where they are standing.
- For toddlers, it is a challenge to keep pointing at a control till it gets selected ( it takes few seconds). For this low-patient age group, it is hard to navigate.
Kinectimals Review for Kids, toddlers etc (age group 3-8 years):
What my toddler likes in this game: (Pros of Kinectimal game)
- Visuals are truly high definition and that lets my kids get the ‘movie’-like experience with this game.
- Love that she can name her pets. She has a Royal Bengal tiger that she named ‘Robbie’. She can call him by that name and he responds! love it!
- Kinectimals game keeps kids active. They are always doing something physically. Petting, jumping, throwin balls at their tiger, feeding them and cleaning them too! ( good training on the cleaning concept)
- The game prompts them to take a break. This is good design for those overactive toddlers
- The challenges are simple and keep the kids interested. Water gun sprayin, knocking targets with tennis balls and driving a remote controlled car are really fun indeed.
What my kids and I dont like about Kinectimals (Cons of the game):( please help us if you know how to fix these)
- The videos in between the challenges are bit too long and repetitive. Kids dont have patience!
- Controls throuh Kinect are a bit hard for a 3 year old to master. Things like ‘selecting’ , quitting ( left hand 45 degrees!) are hard for a restless toddler
- To get the pets attention, they have to YELL their names. Else they just ignore you. I wish Microsoft can fix this issue with Kinect
- We still havent figured out how to switch between the pets. She has a few tigers and leopards now. She wants to switch between them and we just dont know how to. Help?
Note: if you know any way to fix the above issues with Kinect for kids, please suggest away in the comments. Thanks ahead.